It’s time to bake Queens! Today on the menu is banana bread. THE.BEST.BANANA.BREAD.EVER
We’ve all heard of banana bread so there is nothing new here! The thing about this version is that it’s seriously perfect! Thick, delicious, dense, moist, easy to make, and dirties just one bowl. And – it’s vegan!
The trick is to use very ripe, freckly bananas, because the riper your bananas are, the less sugar you’ll need! This recipe only calls for 1/2 cup of sugar, but of course you can adjust to suit your tastes. I did try to change it up a bit though by adding caramelised mango and home made crumble on top. This is absolutely optional. The version without it is as delicious!
Prep time| Cook time| Total time| Servings
15 min 50 min 65 min. 10
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 ripe big bananas (or 4 small ones)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 175°C
- Add the bananas to the bottom of a bowl and mash well
- Add in the wet ingredients and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix well but do not overmix. The batter will be slightly thick and a few lumps is ok so don’t worry
- Pour the batter in a loaf pan lined with parchment paper and bake for 55 minutes. (You can test if it’s done by inserting a toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean, it’s ready)
- Let the banana bread cool, slice and enjoy.
- If you can’t wait to slice your bread before it’s cooled (like me), you may notice a little gumminess on the knife, this is normal, but once completely cooled it will slice cleanly
- If you wish to add caramelised mango, you can do this easily by adding 1 mango (peeled and cut in chunks), 1/2 cup of sugar, 1/2 cup of water, 1tsp vanilla extract, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cinnamon stick and 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder in a pan. Cook till caramelised and add the caramel in the lined loaf pan before adding the banana bread batter
- If you wish to add crumbles, you can do this by mixing/pulsing 3/4 cup spelt flour, 1/3 cup + 3 tbsp rolled oats, 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 3 tsp cinnamon, 1/3 cup FIRM coconut and 3 tbs COLD water. Simply pulse together in a food processor/blender until a crumbly texture forms and bake for 20 min in a 175°C preheated oven
- Store in an airtight container and keep at room temperature for up to 5 days
DID YOU KNOW
The inside of a banana peel can help relieve itching and inflammation, such as from bug bit or poison ivy?